FAMILY FAITH FORMATION*
*formally referred to C.C.D. or religious education
This Fall, Family Faith Formation at St. Aedan’s Parish will occur online through two monthly class meetings on Zoom. Additionally, once a month students and parents/guardians will attend the 1 PM. Family Mass. After Mass, the parents/guardians will be gathered in the front of the Church and the students in the back. Parents/guardians will be provided with a reflection project to be done at home as a family faith exercise in the next month. The students will review and share lessons covered in their classes over the last month. The afternoon Family Faith Moment will end with food & fellowship in the vestibule of the Church.
All communication for the program between catechists and families along with the Family Faith Formation leadership team to all members or select classes will take place through the parish communications platform called Flocknote.
1. Registration will be in person starting on Sunday, August 8 after all Masses in 39 Tuers Ave. (the old Convent) and continuing Sunday, August 15, 22 & 29 after Masses. A parent or guardian can also make an appointment and register during those weeks in the parish office. Registration will close Wednesday, September 1 at 4 p.m.
2. When registering, a parent or guardian MUST:
Complete the St. Aedan’s FAMILY FAITH FORMATION Registration Form.
Submit a photocopy of your child’s baptismal and First Communion Certificates
Read and sign the Archdiocese of Newark forms,
Pay the program fees through Parish Giving, by check, or cash:
$ 60.00 for one child
$100.00 for two children
$150.00 for three or more children
No student will be placed in a class and be able to begin the program until all of the above registration steps have been completed.
Format for Family Faith Formation
1. Classes will meet twice a month on Zoom (classes will be 30-45 minutes long).
Class size will be determined by enrollment and catechist(s) availability
Meeting day and time will be determined by the consensus of the parents/guardians with the catechist(s)
Attendance will be taken for each Zoom class
Three unexcused absences will mean dismissal from the program
2. Classes will begin the week of September 19th.
3. Every month, a Family Faith Exercise will take place after the 1 p.m. Family Mass that will include participation of parents/guardians and students.
4. Families will be expected to attend the 1 p.m. Family Mass once a month.
Expectations for Family Faith Formation
1. If students cannot make a zoom meeting, a parent or guardian should inform their catechist before the class is scheduled to take place. Attendance is taken for each class. Any student with three unexcused absences will be dismissed from the program.
2. During Zoom classes:
The student’s video must be on at all times.
The student must be dressed in a presentable manner.
The student cannot change their username for the video conferences.
The student will not engage in chat or instant messaging.
A parent or (adult) guardian should be present in the room with the student.
3. Parents/guardians and students are responsible for completing the monthly Family Faith Exercise outside of the zoom classes. These are required for the successful completion of Family Faith Formation.
4. All virtual catechetical classes are recorded which could be used for catch up lessons with students unable to participate.
5. Families are required to attend the 1 p.m. Family Mass at St. Aedan’s once a month and participate after Mass in the Family Faith Exercise and the Food/Fellowship time that concludes the afternoon.
Digital communication policy of the Archdiocese of Newark
The Archdiocese of Newark continues to serve the young people of St. Aedan’s: The Saint Peter’s University Church of Jersey City, N.J.
Parish program facilitators will deliver virtual programming and content for its participants, through online platforms. The program(s) will use software, tools and applications provided by third-parties that participants, parents/legal guardians, volunteers and/or staff will access via the internet and use for purposes of communication, programming, and potential content creation. These platforms may include but are not limited to: Google Classroom, GoToMeeting, Webex, and Zoom.
To enroll in any of these programs, you must provide your consent and release for your child to participate in these online applications for distance-based, virtual program purposes. Please be aware that each application collects different information about its users and has its own privacy terms and conditions to which members must adhere and which parish or diocese cannot control or assume responsibility. Please review these carefully before registering your child.
Our commitment to keeping the children and youth we serve safe is always our number one priority. To that end, we will actively monitor participant activity of children while engaged in our digital learning platforms. It is parents’ responsibility to monitor their child’s internet usage as a whole, including their use of any internet sites that are outside of our digital learning platforms. All online activities contemplated hereunder must also comply with the Archdiocese of Newark Safe Environment Protocols and must also follow any use requirements developed by the Archdiocese of Newark and/or the Department for the Protection of the Faithful.
Please contact the Parish Office and speak to Joy or Fr. Rocco about any questions you may have about our Family Faith Formation.
HOW TO REPORT ABUSE
The Archdiocese takes very seriously any and all allegations of misconduct by members of the clergy, Religious and lay staff of the Archdiocese. We encourage anyone with knowledge of an act of misconduct to inform us immediately so that we may take appropriate action to protect others and provide support to victims of sexual abuse and other misconduct.
Individuals who wish to report an allegation of sexual misconduct may do so by calling Karen Clark, the Director of the Department for the Protection of the Faithful at 973-497-4254. Victims in need of assistance should call the Archdiocesan Victim Assistance Coordinator at (201) 407-3256. They are also encouraged to call the Attorney General of NJ Clergy Abuse Hotline at 855-363-6548.